Find out about the exciting world of solids, liquids and gases. Discover what water will do on Jupiter. In a fun and interactive way learn more about how atoms and molecules behave when they are in a solid, liquid or gas.
The learners will build a water molecule out of sweets, pretend to be an oxygen atom and bond with hydrogen atoms. They will arrange “molecules” as you will find them in a solid, liquid and gas and pretend to be a molecule in one of the specific states.
The learners will explore the various states of matter, solid, liquid, gas and will look at them at atomic level. They will also learn more about what is necessary to change from one state to the other.
What the participants will need:
• A solid object (e.g. a small rock, a cell phone, pencil)
• A can or bottle that shows the ml content (e.g. 250 ml milk, 330 ml Appletizer)
• A measuring jug (the amount of the can or bottle should fit into the jug)
• 2 empty freezer bag
• 2 marshmallows (1 cut in half)
• 2 toothpicks or 1 uncooked spaghetti
• A bit of water
• A glass with Ice cubes
• A mug of hot water (we need it later in the workshop)
• A sheet of paper to write on
• A pen or pencil
• 12 small round objects with same sizes (e.g. Skittles, Smarties, bottle caps, buttons, beads)